Tuesday, October 12, 2004

Just got a call from the 'dead-beat' renter

The Lazy Investor
Well, strangely enough, I haven't had a call from the constable's office to make the lock-out happen, but I did get a call from the renter - telling me they are out and ready for me to pick up the keys.

So, I guess it is off to meet with them - in the morning... to get my keys back.

I tried to get them today - told her that I would come get them right now - but, she is crafty - wouldn't tell me where she is right now and only wants to meet at the property.

This is a clue for you - renters are often smarter than you! They spend tons of time finding out how to 'get around' paying you, putting you off until the last minute, etc. and will delay everything you need to do (like getting someone else in the property) for as long as they can.

I'm sure she knows that I can't really do anything until the constable does the lockout - heck, she has probably been through this before...

Make sure you are keeping everything legal, and understand that Real Estate doesn't move really quickly - although, when you have a payment facing you in a short time, you want it to!

Also, be sure you are prepared for events just like this one - make sure you have at least a buffer in your bank account for a renter to tie you up for awhile - even a full month (and maybe more...)

I had to make 2 full payments on my first eviction, and will likely have 2 or more on this one (and with the market like it is today, it may be several!)

That's all part of Real Estate investing, though...

Make sure you are covered in all your investments.

I'll be in touch soon!

Happy Investing.

No comments: