Thursday, November 04, 2004

Getting things done - NOW

The Lazy Investor
Several days ago, I told you about Appraisers and such.

Well, we have been struggling with our appraiser - not getting the thing done, making what we felt are excuses, not actions and generally winding up almost losing three deals (worth almost $200,000 in my pocket) over it.

Not what I call a 'happy' time!

Well, yesterday, we had enough. I turned my wife loose on the appraiser! If you know Irena, you may be surprised at that statement. She is one of the sweetest, kindest, most patient people you could want to meet. But, when she gets going, watch it!

I've only seen her like that twice in the almost 12 years we've been together and let me tell you, I learned a lesson the first time that I didn't want it to be pointed at me again! ;)

Well, she let loose on the appraiser, got his bosses phone number and started letting loose on him. I was on the phone to the Real Estate Commission - first to the local chapter, then I found the state level person to call.

Presenting my case in detail - how we have been told for weeks now that the appraisal was 'an hour away', often times told 'it was already sent' and issues of 'computer problems', 'health problems' and a variety of this, that and something else (once, it was a 'car accident' that was keeping us away from closing), the Commissioner was concerned about how this was being handled, too.

Now, don't get me wrong - some things do come up, like health and car accidents, and cannot be avoided. But, dozens of them, all in a row, happening to the same fellow that was doing our appraisal? Seemed just too much.

Well, the Commissioner told me that she would check into it. My wife was done with the appraiser's boss (we knew the guy we were dealing with was an apprentice and that the real appraiser had to sign off on everything - another issue we were told was a problem - "The appraiser doesn't like my reports and we have to change a thing or two - the appraisal will be finished in an hour..." - how many times can we listen to that one??) The appraiser told Irena that he would have the report out by the end of the day. At one point, I spoke with him and he told me the same thing.

To shorten the story a bit, we had called around 3:15 in the afternoon. From the previous experiences, we felt that we would have the appraisal early this morning.

But, the happy part of the story is that we did, in fact, get it before 5 yesterday!

Amazing what people can do when they get motivated, isn't it?

It is a shame we had to go to that level - reporting them to the commission and such, but sometimes you have to do what you have to do. Our backs were against the wall as well - heck, I'm not loosing a couple hundred grand over incompetence!

So, what's it going to take for YOU to get motivated? To get up off your back side and make it happen in your life?

If it is time for you, and you want to talk about your steps, consider me 'the commissioner'.... We can put a plan of action in place and hold you accountable to make sure it is getting done.

It works - and is certainly one of the most successful ways to make things happen NOW.

Happy Investing,

Steve Majors - The Lazy Investor

No comments: